Once upon a time, a friend asked me to lunch. Our lunch “date” was in Corinth, Mississippi at Abe’s Grill. That lunch date was in 2006. I went there with my friend to write an article for Southern Family Magazine, a local print publication in Huntsville. I don’t think the magazine ever published the article now that I think about it, and I’ll have to look into that later. Because, if they did publish it, I need to send a copy to Abe!
This morning, when I fired up the computer and logged in to Facebook, I was one of the many who puzzled over all the new bells and whistles and started thinking, “Oh no, what have they gone and done now?”
Sure, I was a little miffed, for about 10 seconds. Then I realized the new changes weren’t that bad, once I got past all the how-to’s and this-is-new-and-how-you-work-Facebook-now messages. You know, the directions Facebook posts when they make a new change but no one ever takes the time to read through? Yeah, those. In case you didn’t know, you can read about them HERE on Facebook’s OWN PAGE. What a concept, huh? Oh, and don’t forget the HELP section on Facebook too! Duh.
I knew right away that the new look of my Facebook news page was getting ready to be obliterated with whining, moaning, and complaining about the latest round of Facebook changes. This is for all the haters….
Did you know:
1.) Facebook is free
2.) You can deactivate your account and you are under no obligation to use it
3.) It is just a social media outlet, not something complicated or life threatening
4.) Google+ is now open and no need for an invitation (uh, buh-bye)
Good, this was easier than I thought… just let Facebook weed them out. There is no need for me to do anything like “hide” their status updates or customize who sees mine. By the way, my Facebook is now wide open but it has nothing to do with this blog post (totally different reasons, all good).
Really people, it’s just Facebook. It’s just a social media outlet. No big deal.
Actually, now that I am reflecting, there were only a handful of people who bemoaned the new changes on Facebook. Of those handful of complaints, nothing was serious. So who has their panties in a wad now? Ha!
People that pay for things never complain. It’s the guy you give something to that you can’t please. ~Will Rogers
Rocket City Bloggers is a group of like-minded people who get together from time to time to share information, knowledge, and their passion for blogging. We are an informal group, and we like to socialize with each other. We have a wide variety of bloggers ranging from foodies, music, photography, parenting, writers, fitness, hobbies/crafts, and personal blogs. If you have a blog and live in (or near) Huntsville, come join us!
We come together to share information, ideas, and just to be around other like-minded folk.
If you live in north Alabama and have a blog, come on out to join us. We also have a Facebook Group, so contact me about that and I can add you to the group.
Our “requirements” for joining us are simple:
1.) have a blog
2.) live or work in the area of north Alabama
It doesn’t matter what type of blog, it can be a personal blog or a business blog. Our face-to-face meetings are fairly informal and a lot educational. It’s fun getting together with other bloggers, I learn SO MUCH from this group.
Rocket City Bloggers logo designed by Rocket City Mom
If you are a blogger, or like to read blogs, or just surf the blogosphere… you have probably seen those 100 Things About Me lists floating around out there.
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, I had one of those lists too – on another blog that is now defunct. So for lack of a decent topic to blog about this evening (my 365 days of blogging in a row is getting challenging) here is the start of a new list of 100 Things About Me. It is not complete, I’ll keep adding to it as time goes by….
In no particular order:
1. I’m 5’2″ (which is why I am always wearing high heels).
2. Moved to Alabama 1991
3. Served 5 years in the United States Navy (stationed in Washington DC).
4. I love love love love coffee.
5. The outdoors is not for me. I am not an outdoorsy sort of girl.
6. I’d prefer to be alone instead of in a crowd.
7. I prefer fall/winter to spring/summer.
8. I hate the summer time, hate it. Loathe it.
9. Did I already mention I LOVE coffee?
10. There is no favorite color for me, I like them all.
11. In 2010 I trained for and ran a half marathon (OK, I walked some of it, half of it).
12. I only read the first four chapters of the first Harry Potter book. I never got into them. But I admire J.K. Rowling.
13. Flying terrifies me, yet I long to travel.
14. If it were just me, I’d seriously pursue living in Italy.
15. Coffee is my most favorite beverage, I love coffee.
16. Recently I discovered I like blackberries
17. One of my favorite movies is “One True Thing”
18. I change my mind about stuff all the time.
19. There are 28 apps on my iPhone, I only use 2 of them on a regular basis.
20. Seriously, I want to be a full time writer.
Okay, that’s enough for now. I struggled to come up with these. More to come at a later date.