The Rocket City Bloggers put on a workshop entitled Monetizing Your Blog. We had a good turnout, we probably had about 18 – 20 in attendance. Constance Smith was the instructor, she lead an informative lecture on the different ways you can make money via your blog. Or at least how to get started.
Here are my takeaways:
- I learned there are more ad networks than Adsense and BlogHer. I’m going to have to check out the Clever Girl Network.
- That you can do a sponsored post in your own voice. This may seem like common sense to you but I never actually thought about it before. I have had sponsored posts on my old blogs and it was written by other people. And yes, I had a disclaimer listed. I had never thought about being able to do a sponsored post in my own voice. But I now I am more open to receiving sponsored posts if I can write it in my own voice.
- I thought I knew everything about Media Kits but I did learn something new today. That I don’t have to list my prices on the media kit, I can have it separate and if someone wants to work with me, they can contact me and I can send it along at that time.
- Also in the media kit portion of the presentation, I learned I can list people I’ve worked with before where I didn’t get paid but was simply partnering with them for exposure.
- But the biggest thing I learned today was the Letter for Potential Clients. I had never even thought about this before. When Constance explained what it is and how it worked, relating her own experience with it, a lightbulb went on for me. I will be working on this soon.
After the workshop a few of us headed to Mezza Luna for lunch. I ordered appetizers, the chicken scaloppini, an Italian dessert that involved donut holes and butterscotch sauce, and of course a cappuccino. Yum! It was great to be able to chit chat with other bloggers and catch up with some folks I have not seen in a long time.
We plan to have other workshops and blogger gatherings on a regular basis. Check out the Rocket City Bloggers website. We are gearing up for a year of good stuff!
Thanks for reading and show me your moxie!